“I Used My WAEC Lesson Fee To Pay For Instrumentals Of My First Song” – Yung6ix

Making a debut into the Nigerian hip-hop scene all the way from Warri, Delta State isn’t any easy feat at a time when the city of Lagos remains dominant in determining who blows up and who doesn’t. But that’s exactly what Yung6ix did.
After his remix of Ice Prince’s ‘Oleku’ went viral on blogs, which the rapper describes took him to the next level and as soon as the song got out there and between 3 months of it, he had 5 recording offers and two were international. He made his way to Lagos and bagged himself a double label deal with 411 Entertainment and Storm Records.


His single with Wizkid “Follow Me”, fellow label mates and a follow up ‘Green light Green’ mixtape has placed him way above his peers. The self-acclaimed and recently M.I certified “King of the South was born Onome Kohwo and hails from a family of five. “I hail from Delta state where I could rightly say I developed a strong passion for music at the age of 6 when I started dancing at events as a dancehall, hip-hop dancer doing the Michael Jackson thing and was fantastic at that, I was also a member of the children church choir where I partly gained my inspiration from. I started my music career back in High School where I recorded my first song. Back then, we formed a group called G-Squad and represented our school at events back then and I incidentally came our as the best rapper in Delta and since then it’s been fantastic from heights to heights. From the moment I stepped out from that stage, I’ve set my eyes on going bigger”.
When questioned about the challenges he faced while growing up as a rapper he explained that there was no musical industry back then so to say, so all the problems he saw he overcame then and took advantage oƒ. “I didn’t want the fame or money, but for people to accept me for what I can do and accept my talent. Growing up I wanted to be a scientist and always wanted to fix the TV, Generator and other broken electronics and always wanted to discover something ”.
Although as it may seem most parents of this generation have mixed feelings about music and Yung6ix wasn’t an exception as his dad used to break his CDs, Walkman and seize them. “My love for music was so deep and I just kept on going till it got to a level they had to accept me for who I am. Funny though, the first song I recorded at school was used with my WAEC lesson fee to pay for the instrumentals and remember always having to trek from school to studio for close to 2 hours or more. It was really tough back then at school too as we weren’t allowed to do our thing like we would love to but our passion just kept going stronger & tougher.”
According to 6ix, he doesn’t have a favorite rapper but he looks up to acts such as Lil’ Wayne, Jay-Z, 2Face, Bob Marley and Naeto C and M.I.
Yung6ix has singles, collaborations and a musical album coming up later this year with acts such as WizKid, Naeto C, M.I, Sasha P, Davido, Olamide, Jesse Jagz, Miss Jaiye, amongst others. “I’m also working with Producers like Samklef, E-Kelly, Josh Beats, Tony Ross, Toxic-A and a whole host of others. I’ve also worked with Navio from Uganda, Jozi and some other artists from South Africa”.
Speaking about the Nigerian Music Industry Yung6ix explained, “if the Nigerian music industry is there yet, we won’t have piracy issues. You can’t say the industry is there yet and our music are being sold for Naira especially when you compare the hard work, content and energy put into the album and yet it’s sold for N120 and still we have to battle on how to get it to the Alaba market which we don’t even earn from of which some artists have to pay to even get promoted there.”
His genre of music which he calls Carter is a genre he created to define his kind of music. It’s anything that is good music. He had an advice for upcoming acts, “First of all, they should know their gifts, they should know their calling in life, and many people can be misled by what they see on TV. Whoever has the calling for music should work harder and never give up. Do what you love and love what you do, like i always say determination is the key to success. My manager, Gbemi Ereku always says be truthful to yourself first before you can be successful.”
And for his fans, “I wanna say I deeply appreciate you all my fans and those who have supported me up till this stage, keep it real, keep it up. I love you all and only Jesus loves you more than I do.

Share:

No comments:

Popular Posts

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Advert

M21 9ja Social Network

Your No.1 Online Pr. Contact Us Today. Mail: m21upload@gmail.com Whatsapp: +2348136488753